Wednesday 2 January 2008

Excess XS

I wonder how many blogger's first blog contains the text 'probably wont keep this up to date'. I think mine did. It's partly a self importance complex that you think you'll be too busy, partly a defence in case noone reads it or you sound like an idiot. Anyway, its almost a year of the blog of dob. In fact, it might already be but such statistical reverie ranks so highly - I haven't actually checked. My down jacket smells. She says it smells of sweaty climbing shoes, and its worse when its wet (raining in Leeds this morning).
 
So. New years eve. It was brilliant. Started the day at the school where I met Zippy who was setting problems for Ben. Climbed like a donkey on the main board (think I'm heavy), although did manage my 'warm-up' three. I put a lot of store in my success on these three 'reference' problems. If I can climb them straight away, on my first go of the day, then my psyche is buoyed by the assumption that I am climbing well. If (as NYE) I have to have a couple of goes on each, and feel like I am having to try when I climb them, I have a tendency to write off the rest of the session, thinking I am climbing badly. Of course, this massively depends on who is there. Anyway, try some of Zippy's problems on the moon board. They are v.tweaky on small finger holds, but they climb well. Or perhaps its just the kid in sweet shop joy of having new problems to do. Left the board and took the Monster out to that Mish Mash place on Ecclesall road. Now I love their ethos - local food, well prepared and local pictures, influence, tables - blah, blah, blah, but... it is expensive. Its one of those joints where you order a main (about £15) and then have to order side dishes - all of which are about £3 each. The food is lovely and beautifully presented, but your sides should be included. Or your mains should be cheaper. Oh, and get more staff! I would guess they havent run a restaurant before. Lovely people when you do get hold of them, but all running about flapping rather than knowing what they are doing. The monster and I discussed this at length and she suggested (not to them!) that they should have one person behind the bar doing drinks and you go up and order at the bar, then two waiting on tables. This seems to work well in other places. After that we headed up to Alan Cotton's house to deliver the decks ready for the evening frivolities. When we bought our house (end august '06) I put the decks in the eaves of the attic, and they havent been out since. Save an hour for Sam at the works one friday night when they opened I havent been near them since. Was therefore delighted to discover that mixing is like riding a bike. I hadnt forgotten how to do it. Later, when drunker, I found that the skill that had been lost (perhaps mislaid is a better description) wasn't the mixing of beats, but the recovery of a wayward mix. In the old days a sort of cognitive sixth sense allowed me to correct something before any punter noticed - not now, I tried but it got worse and I just had to cut the outgoing record and admit defeat. Being completely honest I dont think anyone else cared. In a nutshell, drinking G&T all night, home at 5am, slept until 11, consumed three alka seltzer (one XS) and made amazing first breakfast of new year. Delivered our friends to the station and drove to foot of limb valley. Had a nice little walk for 45 minutes and then back home to watch Tarantino's Jackie Brown (must have been caned the last time I saw it, as can only remember the first ten minutes).
 
Back in work this morning, which is good if you are a reader of this drivel, as thats me back in my routine (rut?) of regular postage. Its probably traditional to launch into an analysis of the year thats gone, but I should really do some work (plus, people start arriving about now) so I wont bother. If you are that interested in my year thats gone have a look back through the blog. Rather than looking back I shall focus on what I am going to do this year. Sort of resolutions but not really, as theres a tradition of breaking those. I am not going to drink alcohol all January. I am going to try to keep a training diary. I am going to crush Tsunami.
 
Tim and I used to do a things you should have done, things you are going to do and things you would like to do list. Should have done is without a doubt Tsunami. Going to do is going to be the Hulk, West side Story and the storm, and things I would like to do can be Zoo York. Onwards and upwards club kids, onwards and upwards...
 

1 comment:

David Mason said...

I thought that when i went to mish mash! Expensive and not great service, took us 50 minutes to get three sandwichs and some pancakes!