Tuesday 29 January 2008

Lost cameras, lacklustre sends and lurgy

Woke up this morning absolutely full of snot. Overnight a filthy head cold has taken hold. I can't hear properly, my eyes are streaming and my nose is pouring snot. Felt like it was just a head cold whilst at the house and decided to come out anyway. Figured we'd go to chironico to look at shark hunt. I drove on the way out, thinking it'd give me something to focus on, which it did, but I couldn't see properly and my driving was probably terrible. Anyway, we got to chironico and I felt terrible.

Ed found shark hunt and shouted us. it looks great, and doable. The bit to the first undercut looks hard, but I'm sure kb said that it wasn't and that the hardness comes from the second undercut upwards.

still a lot of snow about and getting around in it is v.wearing. Found a cool problem that was very long called the lonliness of the long distance runner. Had a go and got into the scary top bit but felt pumped so dropped off. Ed and I did something called arabald, which was fun. Nice big holds, which was all I could have possibly managed today anyway. Dammit. This trip is not working out how I intended. Didn't bank on getting lurgy just before heading out. Perhaps with rest I might claw something back by the end of the week? There's much derision from the other two about this arabald wall, and its not the most beautiful of spots, but it does climb well.

We walk back out and find dr meddent. I feel so terrible by now that I just want to go and sit in the car, but dr meddent looks ace. pad it out and ed the trad king has a go. He gets further than I expected he would, and for a minute I think he is on for the flash. He drops off just before the top and I have a go getting to the same place but making all the same mistakes. Dylan does the same. I see a way and do it to the top from stand, ed follows and then dylan. Wish I had started from sit as am fully knackered now - my enthusiasm has waned and I just want to go to bed. Manage to dispatch it after a styleless struggle and we head back out to the car, which dylan gentlemanly runs ahead to retrieve.

Drive to altirolo and I am going to go to sleep in the car while they check out some nearby blocs but then ed has a heartstopping moment as he realises he's left his brand new canon eos 400d at dr meddent. We race back round, but there's no sign of it anywhere. We drive down to biasca to report it to the police, but they're the wrong police (!) And aren't interested. We have to go to bellinzona tomorrow to find the real ones. Bugger. Poor ed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh dear, hope you feel better tomorrow. fill yourself with drugs. sorry about the camera, bug etc. oh dear. anyway, cheer up you're in switzeraland. you can walk, and you're not at work!

Unknown said...

Damn straight! Rest up and wait for the "Nacht Nurse" to kick in, then you get back to the plan and look out for the pikey Swissers who robbed the camera.

pascal said...

oh shit! Bad news boys... But there's only way to go from the bottom! So, take drugs Ben, be detached Dylan, and wake up psyched.

ps. THe crux on shark hunt is matching left hand into the undercut.

pps. I think it's unlikely to be stolen. Perhaps another climber picked it up for safekeeping?

lore said...

c'mon, don't let go.
stay relaxed and confident for the next days, REST, take drugs (medicines), and STOP walking in knee deep snow with sneakers, dammit.