Monday 21 January 2008

I am nervous...

The people of Sheffield all go to cineworld at 20:30 on Fridays. It's a good night to go to be honest - you're tired and non communicative after the working week, so staring at a cinema screen is probably the best use of time. We were on the way out of 'I am Leg End' at 2030 so were fortunate only to note that it was busy rather than having to wait for ages to get in. This is one thing that's rubbish about having an unlimited pass - you can't pre book. If you are buying your tickets online you can, which means you dont have to wait in a massive queue when you get there. Therefore, all these people in the queue must just turn on on spec and take their chances. Perhaps this means the people in the queue are rubbish at conversation. They must go out for a drink at 1900, get bored by 2000, wind up at the cinema at 2030.
 
I would give 'I am Legend' 65%. The book was written in the 50's and has quite a different plot. In the book, Scientist Robert Neville thinks he is the last survivor of this rampant infection, but he hunts and kills the infected. A group of infected develop the cure, but they still appear the same as the uncured ones, and he keeps killing them, as a result of which, they demonise him, hence the title - the cured infected end up killing him in the book. In the film he finds the cure but dies protecting it. I have heard other people warbling on about the end being rubbish, but I didn't think it was too bad. Paul mentioned the Ford GT scene at the start being over done - I just thought it was ridiculous. Imagine going hunting in a motor car along narrow streets! bonkers. Anyway, worth a watch, although perhaps not given that I've just told you what happens.
 
Forecast for the weekend was filth, filth and more filth. We went to inspect her sisters new baby on saturday, and had a nice lunch with the outlaws. Very tranquil. Drove back admidst thick fog and heavy rain, and then bimbled about for the remainder of the evening. Went to the board on Sunday. 11 degrees in the car, I was rubbish as a consequence. Actually sticking to my guns on that excuse for once. Because its been so cold someone had shut the window and it was slippy in there. I felt like I was climbing ok, but just kept slipping off the holds... (better remember this get out clause). Went out on my bike for half an hour in the afternoon. Biking is desperate. Finished the day watching Cookalong with Gordon repeat. He is well on drugs. Can't believe they let him loose in front of the camera riddled with stimulants like that. Jamie still my fave TV chef, with Gordon fast becoming a parody of himself. Yes?
 
Final week at work before the big swiss showdown. Am quite nervous, and it affected my sleep last night - worrying about what to get on first... On one hand I think maybe I will go and try Serre Moi Forte - the holds are a bit kinder, I have all the beta in the world, and you can do the top bit on its own to get your confidence up. Plus, its a problem with prestige (KB trademark). When I went this time last year I was underwhelmed by it a bit, but I think I had put a tip through on Le Pilier and was at a psyche low point, plus there was loads of wet slush at the bottom of it. On the other hand there's shark hunt. Keith said the holds are good but that they are sharp, so perhaps I should try for a Serre Moi Forte in a day, then come back to that one. Reading this back, it seems the sensible option. Ideally, I would do that on the first day there, then finish Le Pilier in the same day. Then have a day off, then perhaps Shark Hunt. Even if I didnt succeed on Shark Hunt that would be a great trip in itself. Need to investigate the other possibles too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

left hand hold on moi forte is supposed to be small.... vid of mule doing the stand on doyle's swiss footage.

Unknown said...

it is!

Paul Bennett said...

I wasn't just talking about the Mustang scene, I thought the Dark seekers were overdone as well, a bit too blade-2-esque for my liking, why does everything seem to go this way?
I didn't know that the plot differed from the book, is it worth a read? it should at least be easy to find with the film being out.