Friday 4 January 2008

Great white weight week

Been a great week for commuting. My god, the roads are dead. Its taking a mere 50 minutes to get to work - which is fantastic. Anyway, reckon loads of people will still be off this week, and it will probably be much worse on monday.
 
I am totally confused as to which day of the week it is. Wednesday night I went to the board, pimping my new old white trews. I found a pair of pants I bought years ago for clubbing (think it was a white party at Amnesia) and was going to throw them out. Then I remembered that Jerry wore white pants so perhaps they would make me awesome. I did my three reference problems ok, and progressed to trying my token hard problem as a guage. Waned quickly, but thats probably down to the shock of being back at work after the hols - and perhaps the brightness of my legwear. Joe and Vik turned up, followed by Nige. All very impressed by my natty white attire. Added Joe's weight belt for the last 45 minutes and started trying to do the warm ups with 4kilos. I am convinced this is the way. I am going to try to do it again today. Once I can do everything with 4k on, I shall bump it to 6. And then 8, and then I shall either be very strong or very injured.
 
Some snow in Leeds yesterday, pretty dank today. Planning to climb at the board this afternoon for a short session, then if I can (and its not raining), get back on west side story tomorrow am.
 

6 comments:

Paul Bennett said...

Just a thought: If you try a new problem/move, the body adapts to new stresses applied to it and you get a little bit stronger. If you keep doing a move or problem over and over it stands to reason that you get stronger. There will be a point however at which the problem stops being a new stress (because of the repetition) and is more engrained, then the problem gets easier to do because your body knows it so well, and you stop getting any benefit from it. So I was just wondering if your 'reference' problems are worth referring to?

joe said...

ah ha, but with problems that you've done, say, a thousand times, there is no extra 'adaptation' with each subsequent ascent. Thus, they really are reference problems - they'll only get easier if you get stronger. plus, i feel using the weight belt on these problems works well because the gains aren't from learning new movements, as when trying new problems, but from pulling harder. Paul climbs about 53 times as hard as me, so these comments may not be worth referring to...

dobbin said...

the weight belt is the knowledge chaps! I was psyched out of my mind down there this evening! Only got 4kg on at the moment, but I think its good.

Paul Bennett said...

joe thats exactly what I was meaning and trying to suggest that its time to ditch doing the same old shit up the board and do something different (even if thats just to add your monster weight belt)....
And out of interest can you be called a climber when you haven't climbed properly for months?
You tried the dodgy assisted rings setup yet?

joe said...

hi paul, how is the finger? haven't tried the rings set up yet. what with new year and then getting ill i've done basically nothing. oh well. it's a long year ahead...

Paul Bennett said...

yeah i went down to nat's folks in watford and was plied with much food and wine. I reckon the finger is scar tissue and i'm going to stop being a pussy and start climbing again. Tomorrow